Target Retirement Date - October 7, 2016

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Signing Exact English

I'm officially on vacation for a whole week. I'm going to school!

This week is going to be a little different from my usual vacation. I'm taking a week long SEE (Signing Exact English) class. SEE is the version of sign language that my grandson is using, so if I'm going to communicate with him I need to learn more. I've been trying to learn SEE from a book. Another district employee who works on a campus and who knows SEE has been signing with me when we happen to run in to each other. One day when I was signing to him he told me I was making the signs backwards! That's what happens when you try to learn something three dimensional from a 2 dimensional book.

My sister is taking the class with me. It also happens that my daughter-in-law and grandson are in town, so in the evenings after class we can practice!

Learning another language is supposed to be good brain exercise and the motor skill challenge of making the signs should also be good. I've spent the past few months working on challenging the condition of my body ... now I'll start challenging my brain!

No comments: