I'm back from my week long immersion in SEE (Signing Exact English). The SEE Center comes to North Texas once a year ... they've been coming to this area for 16 years now. This was an amazing week. It was definitely a brain stretcher! I've always heard that learning a new language when you are an older adult would be a good way to exercise your brain I am convinced. This week really pushed my limits and comfort zone.
I think learning a new language that involved coordination skills was also very good for me. I have always been a klutz. I've been falling down stairs and tripping over invisible cracks all my life. When I started jogging several years ago I truly couldn't run and chew gum at the same time. The last thing we had to do this week was get up as a class and sign a song. The song our teacher picked was fast paced and the lines my sister and I selected to do were particularly challenging. Listening to the words on the recording and singing along, reading the words on a cue card, watching someone else sign the words and doing the signs yourself ... all at different speeds ... definitely a challenge!
All the way home today I practiced finger spelling. I suspect I will get pretty good at that. I'm sure my vocabulary will shrink a bit but I do plan to follow my daughter-in-law's suggestion of signing along to the words of the songs on the radio. I've been signing as I exercise to the songs on my Nano so hopefully I won't loose too many words.
All in all a very fun week. My sister and I plan to attend the Skillshop next year and I'm hoping to convince my husband to join us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment