My Grandma Hall can be credited with this love of books I think. She was a lifelong reader. Each summer my sister and I would spend a couple of weeks in Arkansas ... a vacation for my parents and a vacation for Judy and me! We'd spend one week on the farm with Grandma and Granddad Sisk and another week in Siloam Springs with Grandma and Grandpa Hall.

When we were in town, we would walk down the hill to the Siloam Springs library at least once and check out books. I don't remember having a library card, and Grandma didn't always go with us, so maybe there was some kind of understanding between Grandma and the librarian to allow her grandkids to check out books on her card.
Walking to the library was always an adventure. Grandma lived up on top of the ridge ... I think it was part of the old Hico community. We'd have to go down a very steep hill, go past the local swimming pool, through a park, and across Sager Creek to get to the library. You HAD to stop at the creek and look for fish swimming in the water. Sometimes we'd have to climb off the sidewalk and go down to the creek to check out whatever we spotted. By the time we got to the library we were ready for the air conditioning!
Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, James A. Michener novels ... I could disappear for hours into a good book. Still can ... I'm sure I'm going to be a lifelong reader just like my Grandma! I hope I've managed to instill my love of reading in all of my kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment