Target Retirement Date - October 7, 2016

Friday, August 26, 2011

Sometimes things don't go the way you plan ... or what happens when Irene comes calling.

We finally get a chance to go to Europe and now is the first time in the history of NYC that they've had to shut down mass transit and evacuate the city because of a hurricane.  Looks like our sense of timing is impecable!  When I first heard that a hurricane was going to hit New York City, it sounded like we would be in and out of Kennedy before the storm hit.  As the week progressed however, it started looking a little less likely ... but today things went downhill fast!  Early this morning I heard that 5000 flights had been canceled so I popped on line to check ... our flight hadn't been cancelled yet.  At noon NYC announced all mass transit would shut down at noon on Saturday.  Our flight into Kennedy was supposed to land AFTER noon.  Not a good sign.  I checked again and sure enough, both our flight from Dallas into Kennedy and our flight out of Kennedy to Zurich had been cancelled.

When James got home from work he started trying to connect with American Airlines to reschedule ... and after much frustration on line and about 1/2 hour waiting to talk to an operator, we had a new plan!  Instead of getting up very early to get to the airport, we could sleep late.  That meant that our Friday evening Ice Cream Happy Hour group could gather as usual!!!

We will head to the airport around 11:30 on Saturday for a flight to Chicago.  After a layover of a couple of hours there, we'll fly to Heathrow Airport in London.  After another couple of hours, we'll head to Zurich.  The revised schedule means that Fred and Audrey can also sleep later since we won't be arriving in Zurich until around noon.

I've never been to Chicago or London ... but soon I will be able to say I have!

No comments: